Independent Bulgarian energy exchange (IBEX) is a partner in the INTERRFACE project (TSO-DSO-Consumer INTERFACE aRchitecture to provide innovative grid services for an efficient power system). This project has received funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under grant agreement No 824330. The overall budget of INTERRFACE amounts to EUR 21 033 713,58 of which the EU funding amounts to EUR 16 808 962,50. State-of-the-art digital tools based on blockchain and big data management will provide new opportunities for electricity market participation and thus engage consumers into the INTERRFACE proposed market structures that will be designed to exploit Distributed Energy Resources.
Strategic goals of the project:
INTERRFACE will demonstrate for the first time in the energy sector the added value of data sharing by all actors in the electricity system chain (customers, networks, markets) from local, regional to European level, achieving the following objectives:
- To create a common architecture that connects market platforms to establish a seamless pan-European electricity exchange linking wholesale and retail markets and allows all electricity market players to trade and procure energy services in a transparent, non-discriminatory way.
- To define and demonstrate standardised products, key parameters, and the activation and settlement process for energy services.
- To drive collaboration in the procurement of grid services by TSOs and DSOs, and to create strong incentives to connected customers, by improving market signals and allowing them to procure services based on specific locations and grid conditions.
- To integrate small scale and large scale assets to increase market liquidity for grid services and facilitate scaling up of new services which are compatible across Europe.
- To promote state-of-the-art digital technologies that consumers are familiar with in other everyday transactions (i.e. e-auctions, e-commerce, e-banking, social networks), into the electricity value chain, in order to engage end-users into next generation electricity market transactions, creating incomparable economic benefits by deferring conventional energy infrastructure investments
For more information, you can visit: http://www.interrface.eu/
Meet INTERRFACE in a nutshell: https://youtu.be/J8FRo95Thg4 .
- The INTERRFACE Roadmap is published
The INTERRFACE Roadmap developed by the project consortium is published. It shapes the vision on how the core development of the project – IEGSA IT platform (Interoperable pan-European Grid Services Architecture) could become a fully integrated architecture across Europe. IEGSA acts as an interface among system operators and end-users for the procurement of grid services whilst fostering consumer-centric technologies such as demand response and self-generation.
INTERRFACE Roadmap will help transmission and distribution system operators, and all stakeholders in their decarbonisation strategies by promoting the integration of more flexible means to cope with the needs of a renewable-dominated electricity system.
The document shows the main bottlenecks that a pan-European IEGSA platform will face in its replicability and scalability pathways, and highlights challenges and outline key recommendations from the standpoint of the IEGSA IT architecture.
The document can be found here.
- IBEX participated in INTERRFACE Final conference
On 7 December 2022 in Brussels INTERRFACE held its final event. IBEX participated in the conference as part of the project’s consortium.
The public conference provided an excellent opportunity to present most impactful outcomes of the project, like the experience with the core product, the Interoperable pan-European Grid Services Architecture (IEGSA) and the Roadmap to exploit it. The slide-deck of the event can be found at the following link. The video of the conference is available here.
- Results of the INTERRFACE project presented on the Single Flexibility Platform webinar
Results of the INTERRFACE project presented on the Single Flexibility Platform webinar. Watch the video or take a look at the presentations on the links below:
- Lessons learned from the EU-funded INTERRFACE project
Although REPowerEU is a new initiative, and INTERRFACE had started a few years ago, its concept is very relevant to the objectives of REPowerEU – told Nikos Bilidis (European Dynamics), project coordinator of the INTETTFACE in an interview to the Smart Energy International portal on the occasion of the presence of INTERRFACE at Enlit Europe.
“The project results show that each national power system has its own distinct characteristics, such as flexibility portfolio, ancillary services and markets maturity, grid interconnections and constrains, etc. It is therefore necessary to implement consistent rules and strategies at the European level in order to maximise the effectiveness of flexibility provision while recognising the local needs and conditions across Europe”, Bilidis commented. You can read the interview here.
- Article about INTERRFACE published on EU Cordis
The digital revolution in the energy sector is sparking hope for securing a more sustainable future. INTERRFACE is designing a common architecture with standardized products and processes that joins power system operators and customers, allowing seamless, transparent exchange of energy services across the power system – states an article on the website of European Commission’s project database, Cordis. The article presents the four core functions of the IEGSA platform.
The full article is available here.
- The INTERRFACE project’s Newsletter#5 (August 2022) is published: https://mailchi.mp/b610f7e65984/interrface-project-may-2021-newsletter-9041933?e=1318dcde45
- INTERRFACE team selected best poster award at international conference. During the 20th International Conference on Renewable Energy and Power Quality the team led by the Technical University of Budapest (BME) presented the demo 7.2 of INTERRFACE dealing with Spatial Aggregation of Local Flexibility. The awarded poster is available at the following link.
- Horizon2020 projects INTERRFACE and CoordiNet published their final joint paper “Recommendations Towards Harmonized European Flexibility Markets”. The paper defines a set of 17 policy recommendations addressing 7 key topics to overcome the challenges faced by flexibility market stakeholders. For more information about recommendations to developing flexibility markets in Europe you could see the video of ISGAN webinar held on the 5th of July 2022.
- INTERRFACE was presented at InnoGrid 2022. The presentation took place in the 3rd panel ‘Value of Flexibility’ together with Coordinet, OneNet, EUniversal and DA/RE projects. The video is available at the following link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InEEIWd_KOA.
- The second edition of the INTERRFACE Flexibility Solutions webinar took place in February. Тhe main focus of the webinar was on how new solutions can connect the consumers to the power system through unlocking their potential flexibility capacities. The video of the webinar is available at the following link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VN43bxkK-Y
- The details of the five use-cases on which the 6 innovators selected by INTERRFACE will develop new solutions, tools and services for the project are published: http://interrface.eu/content/open-call-selected-solutions
- INTERRFACE selected 6 innovators through an open call. The companies will develop and implement services and tools under five different use- cases. Find more at: http://www.interrface.eu/news/interrface-selected-6-innovators-through-open-call
- IEGSA platform is nominated for Good Practices award 2021. More information is available here: http://www.interrface.eu/news/iegsa-platform-part-best-practices-brochure
- Horizon 2020 project INTERRFACE calls out for innovators. The consortium is looking for new services for its Interoperable pan-European Grid Services Architecture (IEGSA). For more information visit: https://opencall-interrface.cintechsolutions.eu/ .
- The INTERRFACE project’s Newsletter#4 (May 2021) is published: https://mailchi.mp/6de89be15236/interrface-project-may-2021-newsletter-8040613
- INTERRFACE presented the IEGSA platform at its first webinar – the Flexibility Solutions webinar. You could find details about IEGSA and the development of the project in the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFpk0WTidbw&t=6s
- The INTERRFACE project’s Newsletter #3 (December 2020) is published: https://mailchi.mp/ead0c7e24d86/interrface-project-october-2019-newsletter-8010221
- Blockchain-based trading platform eFLEX ready to be tested. More information is available here: http://www.interrface.eu/news/blockchain-based-trading-platform-ready-be-tested
- The INTERRFACE project’s Newsletter #2 (March 2020) is published: https://us14.campaign-archive.com/?e=&u=306107849ae3e8737e959c561&id=258414933d
- First Plenary meeting of INTERRFACE in Budapest, Hungary
The first plenary meeting of INTERRFACE took place in Budapest, Hungary. More than 70 representatives of INTERRFACE’s 42 consortium partners participated in the event which gained a perfect momentum to further elaborate design and services of the core of our project, the IEGSA architecture – the common platform between TSOs, DSOs and prosumers.
- The INTERRFACE project’s Newsletter first edition (October 2019) is published: https://mailchi.mp/7137f51a2496/interrface-project-october-2019-newsletter
- You could subscribe to the Newsletter at the following link: https://interrface.us14.list-manage.com/subscribe?u=306107849ae3e8737e959c561&id=c9e69a03ac
|This project has received funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under grant agreement No 824330.|