Independent Bulgarian Energy Exchange EAD (IBEX) is a partner in the TRINITY project (TRansmission system enhancement of regIoNal borders by means of IntelligenT market technologY), funded by the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under the grant agreement No 863874.
The main goal of the project is to develop a set of solutions to enhance cooperation and coordination among the transmission system operators of the South-Eastern region of Europe (SEE) in order to support the integration of the electricity markets in the region, whilst promoting higher penetration of clean energies.
The overall budget of the TRINITY project amounts to EUR 13 151 140, of which Horizon 2020 contribution amounts to EUR 9 854 253,28.
The project started in October 2019 and will be completed in September 2023.
Strategic goals of the project:
– Enhanced cross border trading and balancing energy exchange
– Ensuring electricity market integration
– Increased share of Renewable Energy Sources (RES) in SEE
– Improved security of system operation in the context of increased RES
– Better coordination, interaction and communication
These strategic goals of the project will be driven by end-users (6 Transmission System Operators (TSOs), 5 Nominated Electricity Market Operators (NEMOs), 1 Regional Security Coordinator (RSC) and 3 Renewable Energy Source (RES) promoters) and will be achieved through the deployment in the region of four independent, but complementary products: T-Market Coupling Framework; T-Sentinel Toolset; T-RES Control Center and T-Coordination Platform.
- T-Market Coupling Framework will deliver a framework to enhance cross-border cooperation and ensure electricity market integration in SEE. Starting from the already on-going agreements to facilitate the coupling of day-ahead markets, the project will propose coordinated intra-day and capacity markets between countries in the region, taking into account EU and non-EU countries.
- T-Sentinel Toolset will deliver a regional management and operation toolset to enhance security and reliability of the existing regional structures. The T-SENTINEL toolset will enable remedial action optimization at regional level, as well as develop novel algorithms for improvement of Reliability Margins calculation, which will facilitate the accommodation of more RES in the region.
- T-RES Control Centre will be deployed within SEE with the objective of optimizing the management and operation of renewable energy generation plants, facilitating their participation in the different electricity markets through specific mechanisms to track and certificate the clean origin of the energy (certificates based on blockchain).
- T-Coordination Platform, by coordinating the functionalities provided by the three previous T-Products, this platform will serve to enhance RCC-TSOs cooperation. The platform will exploit the know-how and lesson learnt by more mature TSOs and regions in Europe – i.e. RTE in France – when structuring cross-border operations.
For more information visit http://trinityh2020.eu/
Meet TRINITY in a nutshell: http://trinityh2020.eu/trinity-video/
|This project has received funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 Research and Innovation Programme under Grant Agreement № 863874|