Independent Bulgarian Energy Exchange EAD (IBEX) is a partner in the TRINITY project (TRansmission system enhancement of regIoNal borders by means of IntelligenT market technologY), funded by the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under the grant agreement No 863874.
The main goal of the project is to develop a set of solutions to enhance cooperation and coordination among the transmission system operators of the South-Eastern region of Europe (SEE) in order to support the integration of the electricity markets in the region, whilst promoting higher penetration of clean energies.
The overall budget of the TRINITY project amounts to EUR 13 151 140, of which Horizon 2020 contribution amounts to EUR 9 854 253,28.
The project started in October 2019 and will be completed in September 2023.
Strategic goals of the project:
– Enhanced cross border trading and balancing energy exchange
– Ensuring electricity market integration
– Increased share of Renewable Energy Sources (RES) in SEE
– Improved security of system operation in the context of increased RES
– Better coordination, interaction and communication
These strategic goals of the project will be driven by end-users (6 Transmission System Operators (TSOs), 5 Nominated Electricity Market Operators (NEMOs), 1 Regional Security Coordinator (RSC) and 3 Renewable Energy Source (RES) promoters) and will be achieved through the deployment in the region of four independent, but complementary products: T-Market Coupling Framework; T-Sentinel Toolset; T-RES Control Center and T-Coordination Platform.
- T-Market Coupling Framework will deliver a framework to enhance cross-border cooperation and ensure electricity market integration in SEE. Starting from the already on-going agreements to facilitate the coupling of day-ahead markets, the project will propose coordinated intra-day and capacity markets between countries in the region, taking into account EU and non-EU countries.
- T-Sentinel Toolset will deliver a regional management and operation toolset to enhance security and reliability of the existing regional structures. The T-SENTINEL toolset will enable remedial action optimization at regional level, as well as develop novel algorithms for improvement of Reliability Margins calculation, which will facilitate the accommodation of more RES in the region.
- T-RES Control Centre will be deployed within SEE with the objective of optimizing the management and operation of renewable energy generation plants, facilitating their participation in the different electricity markets through specific mechanisms to track and certificate the clean origin of the energy (certificates based on blockchain).
- T-Coordination Platform, by coordinating the functionalities provided by the three previous T-Products, this platform will serve to enhance RCC-TSOs cooperation. The platform will exploit the know-how and lesson learnt by more mature TSOs and regions in Europe – i.e. RTE in France – when structuring cross-border operations.
For more information visit http://trinityh2020.eu/
Meet TRINITY in a nutshell: http://trinityh2020.eu/trinity-video/
- IBEX shared lessons learnt and key takeaways from FARCROSS and TRINITY at the joint final event of the two projects
IBEX participated in the joint final event of the Horizon 2020 projects FARCROSS and TRINITY that was held on September 7th in Brussels. The main purpose of this joint event was to present the achievements of the two projects in enhancing the cross-border capacities in the South-Eastern Europe through state-of-the art technologies, and also to share the knowledge, challenges and solutions of the projects.
On behalf of IBEX Mr. Evgeniy Nikolov, Head of IT department shared lessons learnt from IBEX’s participation in both projects, and also key takeaways for IBEX.
“It was challenging to be involved in the testing of the state-of-the-art digital technologies”, Mr. Nikolov said during his presentation. ”The two projects broadened our mindset and helped us to see the bigger picture at EU level”, he added.
He pointed out that IBEX now has a better understanding of system operation planning, forecasting and analysis on the level of TSO cooperation. This helped the exchange operator to establish a better working level of cooperation with cross-border exchanges and TSOs operational staff which eventually will result in accelerating the integration of the electricity markets in South-East European region, respectively in promoting higher penetration of clean energies.
- Key enablers of market integration in Europe have been discussed at TRINITY-FARCROSS webinar
The key enablers of market integration in Europe have been discussed at the webinar “Enhancing Cross-Border Power Connections: The FARCROSS & TRINITY Experience”. The webinar was hosted by ISGAN and organised by the Horizon2020 projects FARCROSS and TRINITY on June 15th. The two projects have worked to enhance the cross-border capacities in the South-Eeastern European region, using optimalization solutions and grid-enhancing technologies.
The common paper developed by FARCROSS and TRINITY called „Merging cross border flow optimization techniques for performance maximization“ shows that combining SmartValves hardware system (FARCROSS) and T-Sentinel software (TRINITY) can significantly enhance the South East Europe power system, its stability and reliability. T–SENTINEL remedies grid overloading condition, and SmartValves as Мodular Power Flow Control (MPFC) technology diverts power flows from congested lines.
The webinar video can be found at the following link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsW_jfX1LeA
- TRINITY presented to the EUE Commissioner Ms. Simson the real-time 3D visualization applied in the project
Kadri Simson, the Commissioner for Energy of the European Commission, visited TRINITY’s booth at ETRA’s exhibition during the European Sustainable Energy Week (EUSEW 2023). TRINITY’s team presented a Real-Time 3D visualization of one of the wind farms that is monitored and controlled as part of the project. The Commissioner showed great interest in these innovative technologies and commended TRINITY for its impressive results.
During the exhibition Álvaro Nofuentes, the coordinator of the TRINITY project, participated in the session titled “Smart Grids: Supporting the Integration of Renewable Energy Sources and the Transition to Clean Energy” the record of which is available here.
- TRINITY and FARCROSS synergies discussed at TRINITY’s Coffee Break #8
The synergies, joint activities, and complementary actions of the two European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation program’s funded projects – TRINITY and FARCROSS were discussed at TRINITY’s Coffee Break #8 edition.
- EU Projects Zone Podcast presented FARCROSS and TRINITY
The EU Projects Zone presented the Horizon 2020 funded projects TRINITY and Farcross. Listen to the podcast to find out the similarities and differences between the two projects both working on the improvement of the cross-border flow of electricity in Central and Southeastern Europe.
- IBEX participated in the second consortium meeting of TRINITY project
IBEX participated in the TRINITY’s second consortium meeting that took place between 19-20 of October 2022 in Zagreb (Croatia). During the meeting, hosted by KONČAR – Digital, more than 50 partners discussed the progress of all work packages and further developments of TRINITY.
- TRINITY data publishing
The results of the demonstrations of the different modules of T-Market product are published on the dedicated Trinity website: https://www.trinity-t-market-coupling-framework.com.
- The TRINITY project’s Newsletter #4 (July 2022) is published:
- TRINITY products awarded by EC Innovation Radar
The European Commission’s Innovation Radar acknowledged the TRINITY project for its 4 innovative products – T-MARKET COUPLING FRAMEWORK (Multi-Market coupling platform for Southeastern Europe countries), T-SENTINEL TOOLSET (Security and reliability platform for supporting Regional Security Centres), T-RES CONTROL CENTRE (Advanced control and planning platform for RES Managers) and T-COORDINATION PLATFORM. Find out more here: https://trinityh2020.eu/trinity-products-acknowledged-by-the-european-commissions-innovation-radar/
- TRINITY participated in а workshop on Blockchain applications in the Energy Sector
TRINITY participated in the workshop on Blockchain applications in the Energy Sector, organized by the EU Blockchain Observatory and Forum. The event allowed TRINITY to show how the Guarantees of Origin issuing platform developed in the project is aligned with current trends and provides new features to Issuing Bodies.
The video of the discussion is available here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2hHRRbn5yM&t=8127s
- The EU Projects Zone Podcast presented TRINITY
The EU Projects Zone Podcast of the ENLIT presented TRINITY. In the podcast Álvaro Nofuentes Prieto, the project coordinator of TRINITY, explains that while countries in northern and western Europe have made progress in the adoption of a single electricity market, in southeastern Europe there are barriers that need to be tackled. He notes that the project’s intention is to fill this gap and that the countries share characteristics that make them suitable for interconnection. You can listen to the podcast here.
- Bulgaria welcomed TRINITY team
After two years due to the COVID-19 constraints, TRINITY celebrated its on-site Consortium Meeting, hosted by ESO EAD, on the 6th and 7th of April 2022 in Sofia. Find out more about the meeting: https://trinityh2020.eu/trinity-team-met-in-bulgaria/.
- Find out more about IBEX’s participation in TRINITY project: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uchyni-G5hg
- See the latest news about TRINITY project’s products – T-Market Coupling Framework; T-Sentinel Toolset; T-RES Control Center and T-Coordination Platform: http://trinityh2020.eu/latest-news-about-trinity-products/
- The different BRIDGE sessions’s videos of the EU Projects Zone at ENLIT Europe 2021, in which TRINITY project participated, are are available online: http://trinityh2020.eu/replay-the-bridge-sessions-of-enlit-videos/
- TRINITY project has been selected as one of the favourite practices of the 8th round of the annual ‘Good Practice of the Year 2021’ award under the category “Technological Innovation & System Integration”: http://trinityh2020.eu/wp-content/uploads/2022/01/RGI_Award-2021_web_compressed.pdf
- The TRINITY project’s Newsletter #3 (November 2021) is published:http://trinityh2020.eu/?mailpoet_router&endpoint=view_in_browser&action=view&data=WzMsIjYxY2UyNjMzNDRlNyIsMCwwLDAsMV0
- The TRINITY project’s Newsletter #2 (April 2021) is published: http://trinityh2020.eu/?mailpoet_router&endpoint=view_in_browser&action=view&data=WzIsIjU4NzhmOTY2YWQyMyIsMCwwLDAsMV0
- The TRINITY project’s Newsletter first edition (July 2020) is published: http://trinityh2020.eu/?mailpoet_router&endpoint=view_in_browser&action=view&data=WzEsIjNiZTgwODBhNWJmYSIsMCwwLDAsMV0.
You could subscribe to the Newsletter at the following link: http://trinityh2020.eu/newsletter/
|This project has received funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 Research and Innovation Programme under Grant Agreement № 863874